Background

Monday, October 4, 2010

Buttermilk Syrup

Wow!  I have got a lot of requests for this recipe so I thought I had better get it up quick.  

I love making everything homemade, in fact, I give people a hard time when they "cheat."  ie making things from a box or evening buying them.  All the fun for me it to create something from scratch!  So I make all our syrups whether it is maple or buttermilk or even blueberry!  So here is one of my absolute favorite recipe that I have discovered everyone loves and they usually keep a ready supply of it.

BUTTERMILK SYRUP
(see note on buttermilk* before beginning)

2 T        Cornstarch
1 1/2 C  Sugar
3/4 C     Buttermilk*
1/2 C     Butter
1 tsp      Bak. Soda
2 tsp      Vanilla

Combine: Cornstarch, sugar, buttermilk, butter and baking soda in a large pot on medium high heat.  (with the reaction of the liquids and the cornstarch this really bubbles up and WILL over flow, so use a big pot to save the mess).  Stir until and the ingredients are mixed well.  Boil for 7 minutes.  (you will not need to have a roiling boil, it will basically just simmer and that is enough)  remove from heat and add vanilla.  Store any leftovers in the fridge and just reheat later!!!

*Buttermilk: to make 1 C of buttermilk you put 1 T of lemon juice or vinegar (i've never used the vinegar)    in a 1 C liquid measuring cup then add enough milk to make 1 C.  Since this is 3/4 C don't use a full Tablespoon of lemon juice (just shy of a full T). I have found that the longer you let the butter milk sit the creamier the syrup, I let it sit for about 30 min, but it doesn't have to sit at all.

PUFF PANCAKES (GERMAN PANCAKES)

6   eggs
2 T  sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 C flour
1 C milk

Preheat oven to 400.  Take a 13x9 pan and put 3 T of Butter in the pan and stick in oven while it is preheating (you may want to spray the pan too, it tends to stick).

Combine all ingredients in blender or large bowl and beat well.  

Once butter is melted and oven is preheated pour batter into pan.

Bake for 12-15 till you see mountains with golden peaks.  Unfortunately they will fall when you remove it from the oven.

Can serve will all kinds of things.  WE like: sour cream, brown sugar, bananas and then buttermilk syrup.
  
This syrup is great on so many different things!!!  Try it out and let me know!!!    


I hope you like it as much as we do!!


4 comments:

  1. I love German pancakes, but have never put sour cream on them... something new to try for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never had german pancakes before, so I made both these recipes for breakfast on Saturday and it was really good! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOORAY!!! I've been waiting YEARS for this. Seriously, I dream about this meal. :) Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try the syrup recipe. And I might just have to try the German pancakes too!

    ReplyDelete